- That one protocol you’re sick of doing because it never works and why did I decide to enrol in grad school and I have no data to present at lab meeting tomorrow
- Errrr… I haven’t done it yet.
- Alternative protocol – ie. “we did it like this in my old lab” (Your supervisor will love this)
- Illegible protocol from previous student’s lab book (they have since left science to start a bakery)
- Protocol from memory
- Verbally Dictated – sketchy at best
- Make it up as you go along
- “Go look it up”
- A protocol that really shouldn’t work, but does.
- Post-It note based
- Verbally Dictated – detailed
- Hyper-organised protocol explicitly stating all reagents and kits with troubleshooting steps*
*pretty much one in a million
My solution is to go electronic. And always, always, ask if you’re unsure!